27.7 C
Nigeria
April 14, 2024
AgroNigeria
Exclusive News

IFAD, SAPZ to  Empower 100,000 Farmers, Service Providers

By Abdulmalik Adetola Lawal

The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) partnership with the Special Agro-processing Zones (SAPZ) project aims at empowering 100,000 smallholder farmers and service providers.

This was disclosed by Mr. Richard-Mark Mbaram, the moderator of the FGN-IFAD Cooperation Open House and Exhibition Fair held on Tuesday in Abuja.

He noted that the Special Agro-processing Zones (SAPZ) project, secured $541 million in financing. The African Development Bank (AfDB) contributed the largest share at $210 million, followed by IFAD at $160 million and the Islamic Development Bank at $60 million. Federal and state governments provided $19 million, with target groups contributing the remaining $2 million.

“The total financing portfolio for the SAPZ is $541 million. The African Development Bank is contributing $210 million, IFAD is funding $160 million, and the Islamic Development Bank is providing $60 million. Federal and state governments are chipping in $19 million, and target groups are contributing $2 million,” he explained.

Mbaram further stated that the initiative aims to establish special agro-processing zones in high-potential areas to facilitate domestic food market supply and generate surpluses. 

“The program focuses on empowering smallholder farmers, agro-processors, traders, and community-based service providers, with a particular emphasis on women and youth. This approach aims to leverage market demand to enhance income, household food security, and climate change resilience.

“The objective of this initiative is to support the development of special agro-processing zones in high-development areas. These zones aim to supply the domestic food market and create surpluses.

“The program will also empower smallholder farmers, small agro-processors, traders, and community-based service providers, including women and youth. By doing so, the program will help them take advantage of the market demand it creates to sustainably enhance their income, household food security, and climate change resilience.”

He concluded by noting that IFAD targets 100,000 beneficiaries, with 90% being smallholder farmers and the remaining 10% comprising small processors, traders, and service providers.

Related posts

LIFE-ND Programme Brought Hope, Financial Empowerment to Bayelsa Communities- Beneficiaries 

AgroNigeria

FG to Engage 200,000 Farmers in Wheat Production for 2023/2024 Dry Season Farming

AgroNigeria

COP28: King Charles III, Others Advocate More Climate Resilient Action

AgroNigeria