27.7 C
Nigeria
April 14, 2024
AgroNigeria
News

Niger Govt, AFAN Sign MoU to Cultivate 550,000 Hectares of Farmland, Produce Three Million Tonnes of Food

As part of efforts to make agriculture more inviting, boost farmers livelihood and improve the economy, the Niger State Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the All Farmers Association of Nigeria (AFAN), Niger State Chapter to cultivate 550,000 hectares of land and produce three million tonnes of food.

The Commissioner for Agriculture, Alhaji Musa Bawa Bosso, and the Chairman, Niger Food Security Systems and Logistics Company Limited, Chief Sammy Adigun signed on behalf of the State Government while AFAN Chairman Niger State Chapter, Alhaji Shehu Galadima signed on behalf of the Association.

However, the MoU, signed at the government house in Minna on Tuesday is for 35,000 farmers who will use their own land and water resources around them while the state government gives them 550,000 hectares of land alongside inputs worth N30 billion to produce three million tonnes of food.

According to the agreement, the state Government will get back its money from the produce and 40 per cent ratio of the profit will go to the farmers while the government will take the remaining 60percent ratio.

On his part, the State Governor, Mohammed Umaru Bago, described the agreement as a milestone in his revolutionary plans for the Agricultural sector, adding that the State has gotten investment worth $5 billion with a major focus on agricultural mechanization, where 300 tractors and other farming equipment will soon be shipped to the state.

While assuring AFAN that the State Government will secure their farmlands and all arable lands will be cleared to drive away all criminal elements, stressing that security of lives and property remains paramount to his government.

He appealed for total commitment from AFAN for the agreement to achieve the desired result.

Chairman, of AFAN Niger State Chapter, Alhaji Shehu Galadima appreciated Governor Umaru Bago for his foresight in revamping the Agricultural sector, adding that a lot has changed for good in the sector since the inception of his administration.

He added that the agreement signed would make farming become a business venture and would add value to the economy of the State.

Furthermore, Chairman, Niger Food Security Systems and Logistics Company Limited, Chief Sammy Adigun, said the agreement entered into will serve as an invitation to others to join the farming business and tap from the enormous wealth that abounds in it.

Farming tools were presented to the Governor by AFAN.

Related posts

Seven Northwest Region States Endorse Declaration on Climate Change, Environment

AgroNigeria

NiMet to Improve Agricultural Productivity by Providing Timely Climate Information 

AgroNigeria

Palliatives: Kwara Commences Distribution of 250,000 Bags of Rice

AgroNigeria